Are you crazy for cats?
The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA) www.appma.org ,2007-2008 National Pet Owners Survey reveals the following information:
* There are approximately 90 million owned cats in the United States
* Nearly 36 percent (36%) of U.S. households (or 38.4 million) own at least one cat
* Fifty-six percent (56%) of owners own more than one cat
* On average, owners have two cats (2.3)
* More female cats are owned than male cats -73 percent (73%) vs. 63 percent (63%)respectively
* Eighteen percent (18%) of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter
* Cat owners spent an average of $175.00 on routine veterinary visits
* Eighty-seven percent (87%) of owned cats are spayed or neutered
- There are approximately 74.8 million dogs that are owned in the United States
- Thirty-nine percent (39%) of U.S. homeowners have at least one dog
- Most owners (63 percent) own one dog
- Twenty-five percent (25%) of owners own two dogs
- Twelve percent (12%) of owners own three or more dogs
- On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
- The proportion of male to female dogs is even
- Ten percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter
- On average, dog owners spent $219 on veterinary visits (vaccine, well visits) annually
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of owned dogs are spayed or neutered
Unfortunately, it is also estimated that less than 2 out or every 10 dog owners have taken the time to provide for the future well being of their favorite pooch.
- Who will take care of your Pet when you are unable to do so?
- Do you have a Pet Trust or does your Will provide for your companion?
- Should the need arise, do you have a Medical Power of Attorney for your Pet in place?